Friday, August 22, 2014

The Not so Final Draft

A few years ago, just before the birth of my son, I thought I had completed my first novel.  I sent out a few feelers to publishers, but I must confess I quickly became occupied by other things.  As my son got a bit older and more comfortable spending time doing his own thing, I decided to get serious about getting my novel published.  After taking a publishing course, I chose to look for an agent, which, of course, meant I needed to write a query letter.  Great, except I had not even touched the novel for three years.
That is how I found myself re-reading my novel, and, with my fresh set of eyes, finding it lacking.  Yes, I used too many adverbs and passive verbs.  Most grievous of all, however, I shortchanged two of my characters, turning them into nothing more than support staff at best.  My warrior seemed more a guard dog than a true agent of change.  My underdog and outsider never moved beyond these characteristics, following everyone around in a bewildered state up until the very end.  As I read the novel again, they seemed to demand that I rewrite them, to put them back the way I had originally imagined them.
I have no choice but to rewrite them.  It’s only fair they have their share of the spotlight, especially since one of them has to make the ultimate sacrifice.  I’ve spent the last few weeks completely rewriting three chapters and reworking four subsequent chapters to fit the changes.  I still have three chapters to check, probably totaling a month and a half or rewrites on a supposedly finished novel.

I’m actually a bit embarrassed I sent the novel out to any publishers in this condition.  In the future, I will put my work away for a while, maybe work on something else in the mean time.  When I pick it up again, I can read the book as a first time reader and, hopefully, pick up on this type of problem and save myself the shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment